In this era of social media, emails and Google ads, we might think that direct mail doesn’t stand anywhere, but this thinking is wrong – direct mail is still the most reliable way of advertisement. Things have changed a lot and so does the presentation mode of direct mails. Now you can have custom designed mail delivered to your targeted customers in just a few days.
Below are 5 reasons why I still support direct mail to stand equally with other modes of marketing available today. In my case, I still go to my mailbox waiting for some interesting offers like food coupons/discounts etc. I am not saying that emails and Pay Per Click is not effective, but I am supporting direct mails as one of the oldest and most effective modes of advertisement. Below are some reasons to support my answer.
Competitive cost per lead (direct mail)- Cost per lead is almost same as mobile and social media, $18, while it’s a little high in comparison with emails, which is $12, and low in comparison with internet display leads, which is $41 
- Highest conversion rate – According to Direct Mail News, in 2015 the average response rate for direct mail was 3.5% with a house list and 1% with a prospect list . On the other hand, all-digital channels achieve only a 0.62% response rate. The phone has the highest response rate of 9% .
- Targeted – In the case of Pay Per Click or Facebook ads, we never know the exact audience. You can choose demographics and characteristics, but in reality, you don’t know who is going to see your ad. However, with direct mail, you always know who you are sending the mails to and this helps you track your campaign more closely.
Reach of direct mail – “A whopping 98% of consumers bring in their mail the day it is delivered, and 77% sort through it immediately” .
- Attention Grabbing – The chances of an email being opened by a user depends on the subject line. It forces this user to make a decision within a few seconds to either read or select/click delete. On the other hand, when a person opens their mailbox and along with their bills they find something really beautiful and personalized, well, that’s where the call to action is taken.
- a) 36% of people less than 30 years of age look forward to checking their mail every day .
- b) Millennials who live at home are 18% more likely to check mail than the general population .
- c) 91% of mail is checked by the same person each day and 80% of these are women .
- d) More than 2 billion coupons and offers were redeemed in 2015 .
Author:- Asif Razzaq is a seasoned digital marketing specialist and digital health expert with robust industry experience and an enviable portfolio in Business Development, Digital Marketing, Market Research, and Animation. An astute entrepreneur, Asif has distinguished himself as a startup management professional by successfully growing startups from launch phase into profitable businesses. This has earned him awards including, the SGPGI NCBL Young Biotechnology Entrepreneurs Award.
Asif also has verifiable proficiency in turnaround management and bottom-line performance; he has helped organizations achieve increased revenues through aggressive marketing and management initiatives.
Asif Razzaq is Google AdWords Mobile and Search Engine certified. He is also Inbound certified from Hubspot. He holds a degree in Biotechnology from India, a Graduate Certificate in BioScience Management from Keck Graduate Institute, California, a Certificate in Design Thinking for Business Innovation from The University of Virginia Darden School of Business and, a Certificate of Training on Financial Modeling from Stanford University.
- 2015 Gallup Poll http://www.gallup.com/poll/182261/four-americans-look-forward-checking-mail.aspx